We're six!

jottjen's Family photos 2013 album on Photobucket

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One year well baby visits

We saw our pediatrician today and he said J&V are doing great! Veronica is 19.3 lbs and 29 inches long. Jackson is 23.4 lbs and 31 inches long. If you consider them 12 month olds (which they are technically) here are how they compare to other babies:

Veronica (12 months):
Weight - 25th percentile
Length - 50th percentile

Jackson (12 months):
Weight - 50th percentile
Length - 85th percentile

If you correct for prematurity and consider how old they are past their due date:

Veronica (10 months):
Weight - 50th percentile
Length - 85th percentile

Jackson (10 months)
Weight - 75th percentile
Length - 97th percentile

Gosh, do you think they'll be tall??? (Their dad is 6'6"!)

When born, Jackson was about six ounces heavier than Veronica. Now he's four pounds heavier.

We took a test for each baby rating their development for a study a local university is doing for autism. The doctor thought we may have scored low (he will call when he looks over the tests) but said that is normal for preemies. He said the test is designed for babies 12-24 months old. At our 15 month visit, we'll take another test that is 95% accurate in predicting autism. But I'm pretty sure our little ones are not autistic. The ped said most autism is diagnosed by 18 months.

We are supposed to start moving from formula to whole milk soon. (That will save a lot of money!) And after that we're supposed to stop bottles. But the doctor said it's normal for ours to not understand how to use sippy cups yet (they don't!) So I'll probably wait another month or so (maybe after our trip out east) to start transitioning them to milk and cups.

We got two vaccinations (one for chicken pox, the other I can't remember.) We were supposed to get the MMR but I'm nervous about that one. Of course, there is supposedly no scientific proof that MMR causes autism. But I'm going to read up on it a little more before we get it. Next year they're supposed to come out with the vaccines separate (instead of measles, mumps and rubella all in one shot). So I may hold out for that. We'll see.

I'm so glad we have happy, healthy babies. Now... why is Jackson playing and talking in his crib when he's supposed to be sleeping? And why is daddy over an hour late? Ahh well, I better go fold some laundry and think about dinner... :-)

"Riding" our cars

Bozo look-alike?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great stats! Mine seem so little compared to yours :) I think at our 15 month visit they were about 29 inches!

    So, is that study the one that I was thinking about doing? Have you done the MRI yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your babies are beautiful!! And the vaccine decision can be a tough one - I often wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to wait until they are a little older... I wish they knew how to predict who would have vaccine reactions...

    ReplyDelete